Sunday, January 18, 2009

Homesick

I had a strange dream last night about El Paso in which I witnessed an accident - a police car running over a student or something - and I ran around the neighborhood near Franklin High School on foot.

When I woke up I expected to be in my bed at home in El Paso and despite the strangeness of the dream, I was a little disappointed to discover that I wasn't actually at "home" but was at home, in Chicago.

My mom gets subscriptions for me to some El Paso publications (El Paso Magazine and the El Paso, Inc. newspaper) so I can keep up with the news there. Completely aghast at the increasing violence in Juarez (now dubbed one of the most dangerous places in the world; see a good summary of the issue from Newspaper Tree
here) and curious about how El Paso will address the issue long-term, I do get homesick from time to time and still think ELP would be a great place to live. No thriving PR or theatre industry there tho, so doubtful we will return permanently.

It could also have something to do with the fact that it's 62 degrees there today. To clarify, that's 62 degrees ABOVE ZERO, because "above or below zero?" is a valid question these days.

4 comments:

Jeff H said...

Love the banner, but it's real big. But love it, though.

You get El Paso, Inc. in CHICAGO? Damn. You really must be a Sun Princess.

Meg said...

I know, but I don't know what to do about its bigness. I am web un-savvy, as you are aware.

Jeff H said...

Oh, no. Leave it. I don't mind scrolling down. The only thing is that it makes me hungry. Hungry for Texas.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

I don't want to make you sick or anything, but thought I'd let you know it's suppose to be around 80 degrees here tomorrow. :)