Friday, October 3, 2008

Ready to start my summer vacation. Where is everybody?

Current temperature: 53 degrees

Oh. You say it’s October? I almost didn’t notice. Really! And I’ve said before that work topics are a *No-No on this blog – I generally like to leave work at work and devote blogging to the other Highly Important Things that occupy my mind like shoes and Silver Oak Napa. BUT. I only have one explanation for the absence of blog posts, and that is that I’ve been working on a large project since mid-April and essentially McFlied the entire summer in the process. HOWEVER, THUS, AS SUCH and THE IRAQ, we made a plan and then executed that plan (hi Jeff) in South Carolina a few weeks ago and I hope to Return to Blogging! with fervor.

Ok, BUT FIRST, I really desperately need to get my sh*t together, like, I need to clean my house and organize my files and attend Junior League meetings and get back in the gym and go grocery shopping and balance my checkbook and I kind of need emotionally to do it all TODAY, like AS SOON AS I GET HOME or my brain will explode, THEN? MAYBE? I’ll feel better. Here’s hoping. Ha!

After I do that, I’ll probably have to face the fact that summer is gone. But I love the fall here (we never really had fall in Texas), so this whole coming to terms with reality is a good opportunity to return to blogging about my original intended purpose: to write about things I like. Shopping and style. So let’s talk about two big-ticket items that I need for fall and winter and see if I can’t be inspired back to blogging regularly. Or, you know, ever.

A dress coat

Every year for the past three years, I’ve bought and re-bought this basic black wool dress coat from the Victoria’s Secret catalogue. It’s warm, it looks good, but the lining rips in the pockets and the bodice every year and it’s more affordable to just replace the whole thing than to replace the lining so I end up buying the exact same coat year after year. Dumbass. This tells me that perhaps this year I should spend more money on a higher-quality winter coat that will last more than a year. So I’m considering laying down the cold cash and buying the **Granddaddy of All Winter Coats (I almost typed “Goats” – I love goats!! I love them! I really do.), a Burberry coat. I refuse to buy a North Face coat (I did it again! A North Face goat!) because I also need…

Ugg boots

I love Uggs for all the right and wrong reasons. Mostly I love the concept of sheepskin-lined boots (right reason), but since I’m a little trendy (wrong reason) I bought Uggs back in 2003. They served me incredibly well until I forgot them in a shopping bag under the table in a bar/club last year during my send-off party from my old job. The shopping bag also contained a pair of Havianas and some gym clothes, so I really lost out. At least I didn’t have a pair of Rainbows and a Nalgene in there. Or I’d have to slap myself in the face - for the same reason I can’t buy a North Face coat - I can only handle one super-trendy/everybody has one/clone-lemming item at a time. Props, however, to those who can pull it all off.

So, it may be October, but I happen to have procured two things that would make any girl happy – a vacation and a shopping list. Not bad.

*At least this guy had a good summer vacation.

**I imagine he looks something like this. I mean, right?

2 comments:

Danielle Moss said...

It's so annoying that Uggs are so trendy. In my defense, I've been a fan since I was 17 (and I'm 26 now -- so WAY before everyone was wearing them). I like to think I had something to do with this trend.

Let's just say this. Cam Diaz wore them with some shorts and they seemed to really blow up after that. I have seen her a few times out shopping, and could have been wearing Uggs. Hence, she may have seen me in mine...you get where this is going.

So basically, since I started the trend, and you kind of know me, it's ok that you wear them.

I desperately need a coat. Even though I am in LA. I just need one. It gets cold, and coats are cute.

Let me know if you spring for the Burberry one. We're talking trench, right? Color?

Jeff H said...

Yesss....

And c'mon. There was a little fall in Texas, right? On Friday nights in October? At Thunderbird Stadium?

And re: goats, excellent. While I haven't seen tree-climbing goats in person, I hear they're pretty sweet. As are baby goats.