Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gap Renaissance

Like every other preppy high schooler in my hometown, I lived and loved The Gap (in little old El Paso, J. Crew and Abercrombie were luxuries reserved for catalog orders and trips to cooler cities). Before the Gap opened in our nearby mall, I'd make my mom drive me to the bigger mall on the other side of town to shop, generally insuring that I'd be one of the only girls wearing Gap stuff at my school. This was key. And when the Gap opened a closer location one Saturday in ninth grade, you better believe I was waiting at the door for it to open at 10 a.m. I rememer that I bought a pair of adorable seersucker shorts that day. Clearly, I've taken shopping very seriously for a long time.

But since then? I haven't really been a huge fan of the Gap, generally favoring the consistency of J. Crew to the Gap's sometimes floundering and random attempts at reinvention.

Until yesterday. I stepped into the Gap hoping to find a few pairs of work slacks after striking out at Banana and White House, and omg people, the Gap and I are seeing each other again, reunited after years of separation based on irreconcilable style differences and friends?!? I loved everything in that place, (and almost bought everything too) most notably their "sunfade lightweight" cargo shorts in summery pastel colors (which I will wear fitted tees and heeled sandals; what else do I wear with anything?) and their super low-cut worn cotton tees which I got in five colors. I didn't manage to get away without a few pairs of "sunkissed khakis" either, in "periwinkle" and "peony," (muted purple and pink) so it suffices to say I am *ready for summer. And broke.

*can't you just hear my voice getting progressively higher with abject excitement? I am a woman possessed. Gap, I love you. Let's run away together.

5 comments:

kolls said...

Um, yeah. It KILLS ME that I have, oh, $100 to last me 'til the end of the month (and then I have to buy stuff for a big wedding in July, argh!) because omg. The sunkissed khakis are calling my name.

Oh! As for Dallas boutiques, Snider Plaza (Hillcrest and Snider, literally across the street from SMU) has such cute shops - my favorite is Cotton Island. There's one in Plano too, but I've always liked the Dallas one more - there's also a cute store called The Nest, which has home stuff and other accessories. The Shops at Legacy (Tollway/Legacy) has so many cute shops too! It's seriously exploded up there - when I move to Dallas, I want to live in that area (my high school best friend lives in the apartments at Shops at Legacy)!

Kiki said...

I love it and you know it!!! This is great, oh, and I tagged you!!!

Unknown said...

Ok, so I know your oldest and coolest cousin doesn't have much of a fashion sense, BUT you *must* devulge info on your dreamy beau. Come, come, now. Do. You know where to get ahold of me.

kenady said...

Wandered over from Kiki's site and am so glad that you have reunited with the Gap. I have worked for the company for 12 years and have just gotten back together with them recently as far as clothing is concerned. I use all of my discount every month! My closet is a wonderland of fabulous fashion again. I'm so happy! Thanks for the plug and again, I truly am happy that you are digging us again.

Danielle Moss said...

Cute post.

I need to find a cute dress for a bridal shower this weekend!