Sunday, November 9, 2008

Being meticulous

Like anyone else, I don't necessarily look forward to Mondays. But because I like a lot of structure and sometimes feel out-of-sorts on weekends because of the lack thereof, I usually welcome the arrival of a new week with relative eagerness - or in this week's case - relief.

I need to get the past week behind me immediately. I felt uneasy and strange all week - yes, partially because of the outcome of the election - but mostly, I think, because it was my first election as a real adult and I only absorbed its enormity for the first time very recently. And to be honest, it - and my participation in it - made me uncomfortable. Icky. It left me wishing I could be oblivious, you know, bury my head in the proverbial sand and not have to acknowledge that ok, maybe we really are in the middle of a global economic crisis, a climate crisis, hold a shaky geo-political position, [insert additional gloom and doom here] and maybe I really do have to think about it, talk about it, factor it in.

And not to diminish the terrifying clusterf*ck that is cold, hard reality, but it was also the first week of Daylight Savings Time and that always, always messes with me in a bad way. I didn't make it to the gym, couldn't focus at work, and otherwise was so out-of-sorts that I wasn't able to adhere to my other little obsessive compulsive disorders routines. Like I said, I take a great deal of comfort in being meticulous (Virgo) and when I can't manage to maintain my little habits for whatever reason - like putting on lotion right after I get out of the shower, for instance - it feels like the wheels might just fly off my life completely. Get a grip, lady, right?

Anyway, I'm thankful for a new week.
And speaking of wheels falling off, don't even ask me about my car. Gawd.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Uh Yeah, I hear ya on the OCD thing, I like things in a verys pecific way and done in a specific order....it makes me feel calm!!!

Glad you're back!!!